Why is Medical Alert Monitoring Necessary?
Did you know a medical alert monitoring system is not just for the elderly? A system like this can benefit people of all ages, especially if you live alone. An emergency can happen any time, to anyone. A medical alert monitoring system can give you the reassurance you need in case there is an emergency. Medical alert monitoring can work great for seniors, those living with a disability or those with a significant medical condition. Wouldn’t you rather be safe than sorry?
What is the purpose of medical alert monitoring systems?
Since many people only consider medical alert monitoring for seniors, they do not consider all of the possible purposes of the systems. The purposes for these systems spread much further. Some purposes to consider are:
- To provide twenty four hour monitoring
- To call for help if there is a medical emergency
- To keep track of someone, as many now have built in GPS systems
- To remind someone to take their medication
- To call emergency services for more than just a medical emergency, such as when a detector goes off for a fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, or a security alarm
- To call loved ones
As you can see, there is a lot more to these medical alert systems than in the case of an accidental slip and fall. They provide much more than a simple service.
How do I know if a medical alert monitoring system is right for me?
There are some questions you can ask yourself to see if you or someone you love is a good candidate for one of these systems. You should ask:
- Whether the person is alone for several hours a day?
- If the person has a serious medical condition?
- If there are physical challenges?
- If the person needs to be checked up on consistently?
- If the person is willing to ask for help?
- Does the person always have a charged cell phone?
- Will the person be willing to keep the medical alarm on you at all times?
If this sounds like you or someone you love, then you should consider getting medical alert monitoring.
What should I look for when choosing a medical alert monitoring system?
There are a few things you want to consider when doing your research as to which medical alert monitoring system to choose.
- Consider whether the company is Underwriters Laboratories certified. With this certification, you can rest assured that the monitoring system is at the gold standard for safety and reliability.
- Where does the call go to when you press the emergency button? Some directly call 911, some go to the monitoring center. The monitoring center will get you emergency help, and may even contact friends and family for you rather than involving emergency services if necessary.
- How reliable is the company? Check the corporate history and customer service reviews. See if people report that the medical alert equipment is reliable as well. Find out how often the batteries need to be replaced.
- Ask how much the monitoring costs. Is there a cancellation policy? Monthly fees? Find out the total cost.
If you feel a medical alert monitoring system is right for you, start your research to find the right one.